Saturday, March 14, 2009

Friday the 13th...Was Perfect!

Today was the last day of Spring Break and my week-long vacation at home with the kids. It has gone by way too fast! H took the day off to spend with us, and we had the most fabulous day:

After staying up way too late the night before, I slept like a rock until 10:22 am! When I finally did wake up, I was nicely well-rested, not groggy and disoriented from too much sleep. H had gotten up much earlier to join a conference call (his only work for the day), and Chr got up at some point before me, but I had to wake up the other night owls after I got up.

S has had a sushi jones going for a while. It's hard to communicate to a 14-year-old boy with a bottomless pit and a fondness for raw tuna just how expensive a sushi dinner is for a family of five, so I compromised. I told him we would take him to our lunch sushi place. The lunch specials are a lot less expensive. Since we pretty much slept through breakfast, we got dressed and headed to lunch at our favorite sushi place...Sekisui in Horn Lake, Mississippi. Yes, I used "sushi" and "Mississippi" in the same sentence.

I have had sushi in many restaurants in So Cal, Maui, Cabo, Chicago, Seattle, and other cities that you would expect to find good sushi, and the sushi is as well-prepared and fresh as you will find anywhere. Thank you, Fred Smith and FedEx. So we drove from the FC, past at least five other Sekisui locations, to Horn Lake, Mississippi.

Yes, S has the voracious appetite of a growing man-child, but L, my 8-year-old little girl has a hollow leg. Seriously, I don't know where she puts it all. She is solid, but not at all fat, and she doesn't eat much junk food ('cause I don't let her), so I generally let her eat as much healthy stuff as she wants. Eat, she did. After the rest of us were stuffed to the gils (pun intended), L was still packing in the remaining rice and octopus.

Our next stop...FedEx Forum to watch the Memphis Tigers play basketball in the Conference USA Tournament. Memphis is a basketball town. We have the Grizzlies, sure, but Memphians are passionate about Tiger Basketball. I don't claim to know, well, anything about basketball. I spent most of my life steering clear of basketball and pretty much any other organized sport for that matter, both as a player and a spectator. Let's just say I could never get close to a basketball without getting smashed in the nose by it. But when H came into my life, it became clear that to love the man meant to love Tiger Basketball (and Notre Dame Football). It is as easy it love Tiger Basketball as it is to love H.



Amazingly, Chr and L were completely into the game. I figured they would be begging to leave 30 minutes in. Chr even called a few fouls before the referee. Go figure. I can never spot most fouls--even the really obvious ones, and even when I watch the slo-mo replay.

Needless to say, the Tigers won. Of course they won!




No comments: