Saturday, March 19, 2011

Possum

This visitor appeared in my herb garden after a heavy November rain. I tried to shoo her away with a rake, but she stood her ground. Matt the border collie tried to get a close inspection (while thoughts of Old Yeller came to mind), and she stood her ground. Possum (opossum to non-Southerners) are plentiful here in the FC both in the living and road-kill form, although generally only the road-kill form is seen during the day. I don't really like these creatures with their beady, shiny eyes and yucky rat tails, but they are the only marsupial native to the United States, which is very cool. And this one seems to be doing a fair job of eating the grubs out of my shade garden.

Check out the huge tomato plant still thriving in November! I stuck in in the herb garden because I forgot to plant it with the other tomatoes in the vegetable garden. Those didn't last nearly as long in the summer heat.

No comments: